Monday 4 July 2011

Pathetic love songs here we go

4 songs for today
I was quite lucky I had to visit Newcastle University which gave me two wonderfully long car journeys to listen to some music and decide what to review or recommend next.
I was in a rather self indulgent I want to be loved kind of mood so these are pretty much all soppy love type songs, sorry this is the only time it will ever happen.
1. Melee- Built to last
This is one of those songs that I never get bored of listening to. There are very few but this is a calm nice song of which I don't have a lot to say as it doesn't really go anywhere. Very very easy listening and it's a shame they haven't done anything else noticeable since this song. It may have been the adorable video that made me like this song actually, a sort of accomplished better version of scouting for girls.

2. Death Cab for Cutie-I will follow you into the dark
Definitely their most heartfelt and meaningful song and despite the accent it really sounds like they could mean it..? Well if someone like Newton Faulkner covered it it may sound a little more genuine but it is a very beautiful song. The simplicity of the video adds to it's beauty. It makes you listen to the lyrics which, essentially, is what a song should be about surely. Clever in places yet blindingly obvious and wonderfully simplistic in places this song is a keeper. The voice is lovely too and soft gruffness to it that is so delicious.

3. Newton Faulkner-I took it out on you
This man is perhaps the most wonderful man to have ever lived...I can't think of a nicer guy! And this will not be the last you hear of him on here however this is to begin as it follows the theme and its a lovely summer day right now. I can't imagine Faulkner getting angry and perhaps shouting at someone he loves, or anyone for that matter. He seems to perfect but this perhaps adds another human dimension to his music. I shant dwell as I may exhaust everything in an unsatisfactory manner which would make me angry with myself.

4. The Script-The man who can't be moved
Such an overplayed song but yet so brilliant. I am going very very mainstream today which upsets me a little as I was aiming to bring new music....I will do when I can think straight. I love songs that as soon as you hear those first chords and notes transport you back. This song does that to one place and time in particular-the docks in St Ives 2 years ago when this song was in the charts and on the radio 24/7 (?) and a particular bench on a particular evening where some boys were smashing cans on their heads and looking for our approval-it was ridiculously amusing. This is a beautiful song and I'm glad it's got 20 million + views, they are well deserved. Apparently they still do an amazing live show and are extremely humble and nice to interview, I'm glad of it else my dream may be shattered should I find out they were arrogant and lazy. Ahhh Cornwall how I miss thee and the Irish accent how I love it. Good memories.

Probably going to go more depressing tomorrow, everyone loves it really....

No comments:

Post a Comment