Tuesday 12 July 2011

Vein

5 songs. I'm going to start with one that's pretty close to me and means a lot.

1. Whitley-More than Life
This was a free single on itunes years ago! And it really is what sparked my interest in different music. This guy has since stopped producing music but he was an Australian artist with a very strange voice that seemed to hang beautifully in the air when I listened to him. Even through my headphones, a kind of pleasant ringing that I wanted to be there. It's such a shame that talent like this goes to waste but I have hope he will begin performing again soon and perhaps come to England he seems like an absolute lad and a genuinely nice guy. Now to see if he comes up in youtube (people often get him confused with "Wiley" whoever that guy is...) Yes! Result, enjoy enjoy it truly is a treat for sore ears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-6nn_v_zwM and yes it sounds like this on the proper recording kind of retro and crackling. (P.S reading the comments just enhances my point that he seems like a top guy)

2 (and 3). Jose Gonzalez- Heartbeats
I remember my mum had a CD in her car and I can't remember the title but it was a like compilation disc and this was the song we always skipped to on it, number 18 I think. It's so wonderfully put together the flow through the chords and the words is magical. Gonzalez is an extremely talented young man. This is very different to the original much more acoustic and mellow and chilled, music to get stoned to I would assume...It is interesting when covers over popularise the originals a great shame in a way as this is not how the song was written to be played, it was written to have a much more up beat get on ya feet and dance feel about it. At least Jose completely changed it to something the opposite end of the scale to the original and I believe it works a lot better. In the original the womans voice irritates me intensely, nice backing beats though.

4. 6 Day Riot-Run for your life
These kids are so cute. Saw them at Green Man and they're bubbly and lively and adorable. She has a sickly sweet voice that I would normally despise but for some reason I can put up with it here. Perhaps because of the lyrics she's singing and the backing music. The drum behind gives a tribal feeling to a British band and a kind of animalistic quality to her voice comes out (for me anyway. These kids is a pretty good song also.

5. Beach House- Zebra
Following in the same vane/vein? (my brain has disintegrated so badly!) these guys were at Green Man too on the Pub stage or whatever literally no bigger than 4m by 4m and they were playing to a pretty whacked out crowd in the midday sun. Now they have 233,000 or so views and are growing in popularity all the time. Good for them! Nice to see some real talent coming through. Not my usual sort of thing, a bit psychedelic for me I think but pleasant all the same, I like the layering they use on the track and it grows in the first minute or so into something quite interesting. Perfect background music but well worth a good 5 or so listens and then it can make driving music drawer. I do rather enjoy it though, it's growing on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment