Tuesday 7 June 2011

7 days off, disaster-I'm only betraying myself however

Wow 7 days off! Ooooh nooooo!
Here it goes 7 songs, in 7 minutes argh!

1. Down Down Down- Charlie Simpson
No I haven't become an ex boy band groupie however I do like Simpsons voice and this song is very different from Busted and different to Fightstar. It's acoustic like and soulful sounding. He was also on the late night review on Radio one and listening to it I gained a lot more respect for him as he appeared to have a wide understanding of a wide range of music and a deep interest in the genre he is trying to break into which was refreshing. The lyrics may be a little trashy but I like the song, it's easy summer listening.
2. BTSTU-Jai Paul
This is certainly not the normal sort of music I listen to however it is the genre I would like to listen to more of. This has a strange haunting sound to it and has a hint of the clangers in parts. Despite this childish reference the bad language ensures it is not for children's ears. It flows very nicely with very few lyrics and no acoustic guitar in sight! An impressive feat! As the video says "This is dreamy..."
3. Foster the People- Pumped up Kicks
This song, made famous by Greg James' bum dance, is so easy to dance to. Whether its a discrete head bob on the bus or a full on mad dance in the bedroom this song is a summery classic! It has a hint of Vampire Weekends and MGMT mixed with electropop sound. Perfect for a summer picnic or a chilled evening party the catchy tune is sure to be stuck in my head for days and I will be whistling the tune for weeks to come. I don't think I will get bored of this song, a rarity to be sure.
4. Bon Iver-Calgary
This is perhaps Bon Ivers greatest single of late. It's a puzzling arrangement of slow, sad melodies and then the beat drops only very slightly, quickens but the singing doesn't change! Complete mindfuck. I can't wait for the album I have a feeling it will be incredible. The lack of chorus adds to the beauty of this mystical track. I've been following Bon Iver for years and since seeing him at Green Man in 2009 I have fallen even more in love with him as his stage presence strikes the perfect balance between confidence and ability to engage the audience and his modesty and appreciation of the scenery and the audience-live performances are a two way thing after all. This is a slightly new direction for Bon Iver and he has lost none of his individuality, I couldn't say he has improved as this would be a lie-I'm not sure he could have improved.
5. Jont-Another Door Closes
I think this has to be the most depressing song I have listened to in a long time, probably why I love it so much. After failing to make it as a poet Jont took a singing slant to his career and thank God he did. His voice would have been a waste to have never been heard. I was reading Shakespeare's 60th Sonnet today and there were so many links I could make! Of course there was not the same level of intricacy but they targeted the same issue and used similar metaphors. It's a shame he hasn't yet recieved the recognition he so rightfully deserves as he seems to be very modest and certainly very hardworking-I'm sure his break will come soon, good things should happen to good people; don't ya think!?
6. Joe Purdy- Suitcase
Another Grey's anatomy song here, trust I don't watch it but this is the only place that seems to have these songs! Maybe I should watch it, seems to have a very good soundtrack. This is a new song for me so I'm going to have to get used to it before I can make a deep analysis of the lyrics however I love the tune, so relaxing and beautiful to listen to. The mix of sounds is delightful and calming. Lovely for lazy summer evenings and for indulgent thinking; which I do often. From a brief listen to the lyrics I have decided they are quite lovely and the haunting sound reflects this perfectly.
7. Benjamin Francis Leftwich-Box Of Stones
Brand new music now! Going to see him in 1 1/2 weeks time and I cannot wait, I have a feeling he is going to explode onto the British acoustic/Indie/even pop market in a short time. Very chilling yet beautiful voice and a hint of Bon Iver in his voice- a little faint yet lingering. You can tell from all his songs he means what he says and sings and whoever they are about is a very very lucky girl to have someone who openly cares so much about them. Such a lovely song to have composed and I hope that it is done justice in two weeks time and I get to listen to this on the beach as the sun sets late and low on a warm summers evening with a nice Bulmers or a Pimms.

Woooh done for today, tomorrow I think Frank Turners new album/single I'm undecided.
I'm going to Falmouth though so may have to wait til Thursday, damn girl. Also, yes it's been more than 7 minutes more like 37, no matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment