Thursday 23 June 2011

I miss Oceanfest terribly!

Wow 13th-22nd without a post, to be fair I've been at a festival for 3 days and couldn't do one the night before that but I shall make up for it now, oh no 10 songs to find and review. I won't make them my favourites as I'll save them for summer and when I have more time to do them justice. I am working on an essay on Nick Drake though which I shall post when it's finished; it's a very in depth analysis though so may take some time!

1. Beardyman- kitchen diaries
Not strictly a song I suppose however this guy is insanely talented and really innovative and fresh. He's bringing the art of beatboxing to the masses and bringing this strange vocal art form to the front of peoples minds. It's also incredibly entertaining and enjoyable to watch, and frequently I find myself watching with my mouth open and a slight laugh of amazement sneaks out. Brilliant.

2. Charlee Drew- Run Away
This guy is so easy to listen to and he's got a kind of street edge to his soft voice which is exciting. He also seems to genuinely mean all the lyrics he's singing which of course makes the sound significantly better. I love the rawness of this song and Charlee's voice aswell (Shame about the odd way he spells his name...maybe there are too many Charlie Drews?) I've known about this guy for about 3/4 years since my friend friended him on fb and I thought I'd follow the lead and I'm glad I did he's ridiculously talented so good luck to him.

3. Example-Changed the way you kissed me
I think it's this mans brilliantly odd voice that makes me love him. Or perhaps his hilarious twitter posts but I have fallen for his gruff voice since he released his first less hip hop song last year (?) I was listening to an interview he gave on Radio one and he was saying how he was still in his "smoking robe" at 1 in the afternoon and something about being in a house with lots of other people I don't really remember, oh and he went to have singing lessons but they said they would ruin his unique voice if they coached him so he didn't ahah what a lucky escape. He has gone from strength to strength and even though he is an arrogant prick he is the sort of person I would love to marry, he takes sarcasm in the same horrible light as me and doesn't care what people think. He just seems to be here to have a good time and be mean about people. Classic me right there!

4. King Blues- Boulder
So much respect for these guys right now. Saw them at the weekend at Goldcoast Oceanfest and even though they have a brand new album out they played all of their old stuff, which is exactly what the crowd wanted to hear. They were also ridiculously humble saying they expected about 6 people to turn up to watch them, I guess anarchy isn't huge in Devon, and seemed genuinely honoured that so many people had come down to watch them. We even got a picture with Jamie and Itch from the band and a autograph from Itch which they were more than willing to do. So much love for their anarchist-ical (?) lyrics and ways right now it's unreal. They are incredible live, so much energy that infects everyone in the crowd. They all seem to genuinely enjoy being on stage and love the crowds reaction. Their military, political chants are mixed in with heartfelt warming songs that you can't help but relax to. Itch also has an amazingly cute dog and a wonderfully odd voice ( I seem to have a thing for weird voices tonight)

Eugh less than half way through oooh nooo!

5. Athlete-Wires
I really do have a knack for being drawn to really depressing songs about death or distress. Not that I'm complaining as they're usually the most heartfelt ones with the best lyrics they just put me on a bit of a low mood for a while. Athlete are the perfect example of a depressing British band who produce captivating music. This song ends slightly more positively but the negative feeling throughout the song is lingering and almost haunting. I miss Athlete I wonder what they're doing now.

5. A fine frenzy- Bird of summer
Not my usual music as it's far too girly and loving but not desperate and reliant so I can cope. At least she doesn't seem to mind if he doesn't come back at all, she won't fall apart without him and she can let him go. Better summer love song than that ghastly Grease one! She has a nice calm solid voice that's very summery and uplifting, which is good as I need it after Athlete's depressing intervention in my life!

6. Iron and wine- Flightless bird
Ruined by the bands use on the Twilight films this is still a beautiful song with a beautiful voice to go with it. Such peaceful listening yet very thought provoking and deep. The deep, heavy sort of sound is wonderfully refreshing after the high pitched, ear piercing sounds everyone seems to be in to at the moment. The flowing voice is relaxed and seems to come easy to the vocalist. Such effortless talent is rare and should be appreciated.

7. Backbeat Soundsystem-Procrastination Station
These guys are so siiiiick! So chilled and lovely! Can't get enough of them right now after their smashing set at Goldcoast. The lead singers dreads were amazing, I literally couldn't take my eyes of them, captivating. They certainly did bring the reggae to Devon on that rainy day and I'm thankful for it. So easy to dance to and it has instantly lifted my mood. I love how many members there are in the band and they all evidently bring different elements to the sound; it works brilliantly! These guys seem like genuine gentlemen and lovely people and I can't wait to see them live again for some good ol' "skanking"-yes they introduced this interesting word to my vocabulary! This song also has wonderful crowd encouraging lyrics!

8. Johnny Flynn- The Box
Ahh this guy is adorable and his work is wonderfully simple. I'm getting a little bored of typing so this will be the last song tonight I'll finish tomorrow. The video's pretty cool as well and the fast beat and interesting tempo he has in his lyrics provide for interesting listening. They lyrics are clever as well all about a tramp but I feel it's also a plea for how Flynn wouldn't mind living himself-quite, simple, not confronted just peaceful. Would be nice eh?



Tired now, too much typing so 3 tomorrow-done.

No comments:

Post a Comment