Monday 27 June 2011

So hot

So 2 from the 23rd plus the 23rd-27th....booohooo 6 for today and I'm running low on motivation in this heat!
So Monday 27th June we have lift off...

Now the initial aim behind this blog was to bring to light some underground slightly less well known music but it has turned into a free for all platform on which my sporadic brain has begun to spew anything it likes. This is how I shall continue as it's easier, but first some new undiscovered (he's actually recently been signed but shhhh) music

1. Adam Barnes- Supermarket
This video is wonderful. I love the sneaky way in which this guys friends slide him his guitar and he hurriedly puts it over his head and begins to play. Such respect for them as it makes a brilliantly entertaining video to accompany a lovely song. Definitely going to see this guy in Wycombe on the 7th (?) on my own if I have to! Even without the video his voice and skills come through but with the video you realise he's playing and singing whilst walking and avoiding miserable supermarket assistants. This has a spooky similarity to Seth Lakemans music though, even the pitch and tone of Barnes' voice is the same. Strange stuff, but wonderful chilled summer music. I think in the winter I will find some more depressing slow stuff but while the suns out I'll stick to this.

2. American Trash
This sounds like 303H! (or whatever their name is) but I have decided is a lot better, again, the video contributes to this admiration and liking a lot. I think it's extremely clever and the captions are an excellent way to get their point across without clogging up precious lyric space with words that don't quite work together. Anyway altogether a very listenable to song (for about 5 minutes, then for my ears it gets a little grating)

3. Rage Against the Machine- Killing in the name
Yes it was good when it was released but even better when it ruined the charts a few christmas' ago! So satisfying to see the industry is not completely monopolised by psychos (see what I did there, ey clever...or sad I'm not sure) And it restored a little faith in humanity, primarily in the youth of Britain but still gave me the anarchistical kick I need just before Christmas!

4. Benjamin Taylor-Wicked Way
Now this is a very strange song. I'll forewarn you of that. I love it though; brutally honest and truthful and brings to light what a lot of men want. Of course not all but at least it's a man singing about it very bluntly. The video is mesmerising and incredibly well thought out and put together. The director is a genius. This is definitely my favourite song in a long time and I downloaded it in December last year and still love it. If you took the words away and just listened to the tune and music it sounds like a Jason Mraz esque type of song with uplifting summery lyrics but then with the lyrics you see how raw and crashing it really is. The contrast is probably what draws me to this song every time. To put it simply I love it.

5. Chuck Ragan-For broken ears
Such a gruff voice that suits these lyrics so well. I can't really say very much about this song. It's very millitant and the use of the harmonica is genius. It evokes a feeling in me that wants to go out and fight to change the world. It's strange it's not a soft voice yet so listenable and charming. Creates the picture of a rugged, tall, handsome stranger somehow. Perhaps with walking boots walking the coastal path in late August. It is very end of summery this song so I shant dwell. I should analyse more as it's a brilliant song with wonderful lyrics but my brain refuses to work at the moment so I'll simply listen and not think.

6. The miserable Rich- Boat Song
I can't find a decent recording of this song but the introductory Brahms lullaby should be indicative of the content of the song. I believe it's dedicated to the leads mother and is a kind of promise of protection. A promise to look after her as she did he when he was young. This is one of the most adorable songs ever written. To tell your mother not to worry, that you'll always be there for her is something everyone tries to articulate but few manage it so beautifully as this band. The childhood experiences he refers to are easy for most to relate to as well as they are memories that become engrained; being sung to sleep, having a pack lunch made for you, having fairy tales read to you all these wonderful childhood things which people forget you also need when you're grown up too. Too beautiful this song and it's a shame there aren't any very good quality recordings of it. I have one on my ipod though so I'm smug. I'm glad I finished on such a touching and personal song. Enjoy this one if you didn't any of the others please, it deserves some recognition and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment